We need your help in preventing iodine and other unauthorized materials from getting into the waste stream delivered to the Covanta Essex Waste-to-Energy Facility in Newark, NJ.
Please be aware that waste material containing iodine is now prohibited at the facility as the combustion of this material can lead to unwanted, visible pink or purple emissions from our facility’s stack. For a full list of prohibited waste types, please see the list below.
The following solid and liquid waste materials, as identified by waste ID numbers and defined in N.J.A.C 7:26-2.13(g) and (h), regulated medical waste classes as defined in N.J.A.C 7:26-3A.6(a), and bulk recyclables as defined in N.J.A.C. 7:26A are specifically prohibited from disposal at the facility:
- Iodine Wastes (of any kind)
- TYPE12: Dry Sewage Sludge
- TYPE13: Bulky Wastes
- TYPE 23: Vegetative Waste (Bulk quantities)
- TYPE 25: Animal and Food Processing Waste (Large quantities or full truck loads)
- TYPE 27: Dry Industrial Wastes
- TYPE 72: Bulk liquid and Semi-Liquids
- TYPE 73: Septic Tank Clean-out Wastes
- TYPE 74: Liquid Sewage Sludge
- Regulated Medical Waste (RMW), all classes, N.J.A.C 7:26-3A.6 (a) Bulk Recyclables N.J.A.C. 7:26A
If you need assistance interpreting any product that may contain iodine, please take a picture of the labels and email it in to JBernardino@covanta.com or contact Jack Bernardino at 732-956-1436. Covanta can provide technical assistance in interpreting the label or safety data sheet of your chemicals.